Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gardner's Granola Bars

Last month we canned oats and I thought i would post some of my favorite oat recipes. Of coarse i am waiting for others to give me their recipes as well...

This is a recipe for granola bars but depending on how you cut of crumble them it makes wickedly good granola.


ingredients:
3 cups of quick oats
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 tblsp butter
1 cup flaked coconut ( i use the sweetened)

Mix all ingredients together.

Now this is where the fun part comes in...yo u pick the rest of the ingredients. I made two batches today that i am posting.

Apricot, Cranberry orange chocolate:
i added about 1/2 cup of the orange flavored dried cranberries, 1/2 cup of diced dried apricots, and 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips.


Cranberry pineapple pistachio:
i added about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, 1/2 cup dried diced pineapple, 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds and 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios.


Mix all ingredients together and place in a greased 13x9 dish and press flat. For granola do not press flat leave loose or chunk into little crumbles. if you get your hands wet the mixture doesn't stick as much. place in a preheated (350) oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.


Let them cool for 5 minutes then cut into squares or rectangles. Cool completely. Wrap in saran wrap to keep fresh.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I can't wait to make these. I love homemade granola bars and I could eat dirt with sweetened condensed milk on it. So, these look fabulous.

Margene said...

These are great your dad even likes them and he doesn't like coconut. So I didn't tell him they had coconut in them. I put cashew, macadina, pineapple and cranberries in mine. I put almost a cup of each. they are good.

Margene said...

Melissa and Willow liked them too. Phoenix wasn't brave enough to really taste them.

The Snow Queen said...

Phoenix told me privately that they had "bugs" in them. He didn't want to "die". I think I am going to try them with some chocolate chips and see how the kids do. Nice. I also have a neighbor whos kid is alergic to everything and she likes them too.